Pranayama/ breathwork is a very powerful and wonderful way to cleanse, harmonize, energize and open up mind and body. However, one needs to be cautious and respectful with these techniques.
Here are some points to keep in mind.
- Strong breathing techniques are very stimulating for the mind and energy system. Therefor it should always be combined with a period of at least 10 minutes of calm breathing and meditation after the stronger breathing session. This is to let everything settle like the: blood pressure, heart-rate, endocrine system, energy system, mind etc. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!
- Strong breathing practices are all the breathing techniques in which you breathe more and stronger than your body needs. This is called hyper ventilation.
Don’t do the stronger breathing exercises, and do holding the breath after full inhalation if any of the listed points apply to you:
– High Blood Pressure
– Serious heart problems
– Brain problems (operation, tumors, stroke etc.)
– Panic attacks
– When pregnant
– if you had an operation in the head or torso recently etc.
When you have one of these things, either do the practice very gently or not at all and consult a doctor when in doubt.
- Do these techniques with patience and kindness towards yourself. Never force yourself much or go over your limits. This especially goes for strong breathing techniques and breatholding techniques.
- It is very important to not only do strong breathing practices, but also focus a lot on the calming and slow breathing practices. Strong breathing practices are just preparations to clear and open up mind and body to be able to do the calmer breathing practices and go into a state of meditation.
- The goal of these strong breathing practices is not to ‘feel high’ or experience pleasant sensations. These are profound techniques that will help clear out physical, emotional, mental and energetic blockages. When these are cleared one can feel the peace within and sit in meditation. Meditation is the goal, not nice sensations You will learn that in this course.
- Learn all aspects of this course, not just the beginning of the course. Towards the end of the course you will learn more and more about the essence of these practices and get to the ‘core of yourself’.